Thursday, July 31, 2014

Two Super Simple Recipes

Wow, this week has seemed to fly by! I have been so busy, I feel like I haven't had time to think. Busy for me probably isn't busy for other people, but I'm already wiped.


I have been attending my church for only about 8 months. I plan to talk more about church, hopefully in my next post. Anyway, my church organizes meal delivery for people who have surgery or babies or whatever. There have been several babies born in the last few months, and several more expected in the next few months. So many babies! So many meals! I try to sign up to take a meal when I can. I feel like there are so many things I'm not able to do, that I want to do what little I can. That's a future post too!


This week, I got to take dinner to a family who just had their 4th baby boy! I got to take a peek at him, and let me tell you, he is a little cutie.


The meal I decided to make was loaded baked potatoes with a yummy slaw. I never remember to pay attention to what the slaw is called, but you buy it at Costco, and it has kale, Brussels sprouts, chicory, probably some cabbage...anyway, it's really good. It comes with pepitas and dried cranberries in it - yum! It also comes with a poppy seed dressing - not yum. Not that I don't like poppy seed dressing, but it has soybean oil in it. Now, as I have said, this is not a health blog, but I believe soybean oil should be avoided like the plague. Not only is soy bad for the hormones, but those vegetable types of oils are extremely high in polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are very inflammatory - not good for anyone, and especially not good when you are sick. I also happen to be allergic to eggs, which are in the dressing of course. So, I always toss that packet and whip up my own. This dressing I make is ridiculously simple and delicious. It would work in any kind of creamy salad, like a coleslaw.


Recipes are difficult for me, because I cook intuitively, so I have to think really hard about measurements. I'll give approximate measurements here, but everything should be to taste. If you are not an intuitive cook, I believe it's a skill everyone can develop. Give it a taste, and change it up however you want!


Simple Creamy Slaw Dressing


1 cup sour cream (I prefer Daisy, because it is delicious, and only has one ingredient - woohoo!)

2 tsp or so Dijon or spicy brown mustard

2 tsp or so red wine vinegar

1 - 2 tsp honey (I've used sugar too, and it tastes fine, just not quite as good)

Large pinch of salt (No table salt, please - I love the taste of Real Salt, or you can use fine sea salt)


Mix it up, taste it, adjust accordingly. Sometimes, I add poppy seeds if I have them, and I love coarse ground black pepper as well.


I hope you will give this a try! It takes less than 5 minutes to make, and is so much tastier and better for you than any store bought dressing! I'm a big fan of simple ingredients.


Speaking of simple, I also took some honey butter roasted peaches for dessert. Easy peasy lemon squeezy summer dessert.


Honey Butter Roasted Peaches


6 peaches, cut in half, and pitted

Butter

Honey


Smear a little butter in the bottom of a baking dish. Place the peach halves inside, cut side up. Place a pat of butter on each one, then drizzle with honey. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes. Easy right? They would also be delicious with raspberries, though I would think you'd want to only add the raspberries for the last 15 minutes of baking. You could also sprinkle them with cinnamon, or use a vanilla infused honey. I might have to buy some more peaches.


PS - sorry I didn't think to take a picture of the peaches. You can leave a comment anyway.

 

 

1 comment: